Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Swine flu rant...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Swine flu rant...

    What the hell, why is there so much fuss over this? Really? Why is it this emergency? Typical of this country to blow something like this up out of proportion and ignore actual threats like AIDS was ignored by Reagan. Of course I get why that was the case back then(the Christian/evangelical)...but now we decide to exaggerate with things like the Swine flu? I don't get the panic, really.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    If you look back at how folks are when it comes to panicking over the most ridiculous things, it's really not that shocking. I mean, Y2K. Nuff said. And apparently now that the flu is sporting a new, frightening, more intimidating name (just in time for Halloween), it's the worst thing since the Bubonic plague. Just be sure and keep everyone inside to prevent it from being spread, else Lord knows we'll all be dead by tomorrow.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    You all wouldn't be so quick to "dismiss" this particular strain of flu if you all knew someone who had died from it. One of my army buddy's grand daughter died fro this 2 weeks ago. I wonder if you would be so quick to judge if it had been someone in your family. Come on now, this is an immediate threat to our health. It can and will kill.

    And to compare this to HIV/AIDS is just plain old bull****.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Thousands die from seasonal flu each year.

    Its the age group.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by beamer_ball View Post
    Thousands die from seasonal flu each year.

    Its the age group.
    Beamer didn't mean to thank you meant to quote you. There was a article on the news about a 24 yr old I think air force guy that died form it not long after completing a physical exam.

    LOL at R13 comparing swine flu to aids. Dr R13 now? Your a dumbass.
    GO VOLS

  6. #6
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
    Beamer didn't mean to thank you meant to quote you. There was a article on the news about a 24 yr old I think air force guy that died form it not long after completing a physical exam.

    LOL at R13 comparing swine flu to aids. Dr R13 now? Your a dumbass.

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    And I wasn't comparing the two, I was comparing the reaction by the gov. to both. One isn't a real threat and the gov. has overreacted BIG TIME....the other is a seriously threat, that will kill you indefinitely and was ignored by the gov. and that administration.


    Did you just miss that part or something?




    And what Beamer meant is that age has a lot to do with it, because of the weaker immune system. He never said that young people can't die from it, but the majority of the deaths occur in the elderly and children.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member beamer_ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    2,840
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
    There was a article on the news about a 24 yr old I think air force guy that died form it not long after completing a physical exam.
    That's what I meant, the age group its affecting.

    Still, sure H1N1 kills...as does seasonal flu, and much more, as mentioned.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Swine flu rant...

    Quote Originally Posted by centennialdawg View Post
    You all wouldn't be so quick to "dismiss" this particular strain of flu if you all knew someone who had died from it. One of my army buddy's grand daughter died fro this 2 weeks ago. I wonder if you would be so quick to judge if it had been someone in your family. Come on now, this is an immediate threat to our health. It can and will kill.

    And to compare this to HIV/AIDS is just plain old bull****.

    I don't know anyone personally that has, but I know of one that died of the seasonal flu this year. The regular flu kills about 35/40,000 people in the US each year, how many has the swine flu killed? A couple hundred? And how many of those were swine flu/pneumonia both? Small children along with older people it is a threat to, but a smaller threat than the regular seasonal flu. It's killed 5,000 people worldwide, when it get's past the 500,000 that the seasonal flu usually kills...then I'll see it as an immediate threat to our health. Sorry, but this isn't a real threat and certainly not nowhere's near what you said or what it's been made out to be. Unfortunately, people will die from it, but mainly the elderly or really young...and I'd say most of those will have been because 1) it didn't get treated 2) they have pneumonia or something else along with it.


    It just has a different name, that's why all the panic is going on. Attach a new name to something, people flip out because it's something new. I'm really not the least bit worried about it, again I'll say that if I do get the flu the year...I'd rather it be the swine flu. This isn't a real threat, this has been blown way out of proportion.


    And I wasn't comparing the two, I was comparing the reaction by the gov. to both. One isn't a real threat and the gov. has overreacted BIG TIME....the other is a seriously threat, that will kill you indefinitely and was ignored by the gov. and that administration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •